Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Leftfield Pictures-My New York Home


Some of you may have seen the lovable yet oh so intimidating men in this picture before. They are the Reality TV Celebrities of History Channel’s “Pawn Star$.” I spent the semester familiarizing myself with Rick, Corey, Chum Lee, and Old Man via transcribing at my internship with Leftfield Pictures.


Leftfield Pictures is the creative genius and Production Company behind this cable reality TV show hit. They are also in the process of producing and developing projects for A&E, Animal Planet, History Channel, Versus, MTV, and many others. It’s located in tourist central-right down the street from Madison Square Garden and only a few blocks from Times Square.


Once upon a time I swore I would never work in Reality TV. What I didn’t know at the time was how much fun it is to create Reality TV. I didn’t realize how amazing the people were who worked in this field. With Reality TV Production you can watch the entire process of a show life unfold before your eyes and know that you had a hand in making it.


I was fortunate enough to stumble upon Leftfield Pictures at the end of January. They welcomed me into their closely knit family with open arms. I could not have asked for a better internship this semester. Having already completed my degree in the fall (but being unwilling to graduate early) I was able to dedicate myself to this Production Company full time and then some.


My first day of work was during the worst snow storm NYC and seen in quite a few years. There were about 18 inches of snow on the ground. None of my previous three internships required me to work as a part time messenger/courier service, so I was slightly shocked when I was sent out into the snow for three runs on my first day. I hadn’t dressed properly. I was wearing black pants and black cotton boots. I looked very “corporate.” I’m sure my supervisor thought I’d been abducted when it took me almost an hour to find the post office that was no more than 4 blocks away. I spent the day soaking wet up to my thighs. I called my parents on the way home and told them that I was pretty sure I’d just been hazed by an entire TV Production Company.


Leftfield is a company that is not afraid to take risks on their interns. During the course of nearly four months with them I was given the chance to work in every branch of the company. I did everything from casting “little people” to decorating an entire floor, transcribing for countless shows (and for countless hours) to going on an overnight shoot as a PA and everything in between. It was painful to say goodbye to the friends and family that I made there. I’m truly blessed and so thankful for the opportunities and people that I met there.

No comments:

Post a Comment